After doing Sibelius’ Third as part of the 28 Songs Later series, I decided to try another three-part classical piece, but this time full size in oils. So where each movement of S3 was an 8″x8″ canvas board in acrylic, each of the movements of La Mer are 20″x20″ canvases in oil. Quite a lot more work required. I think it’s almost done:
The individual parts:
La Mer 1 : “De l’aube à midi sur la mer”
La Mer 2 : “Jeux de vagues”
La Mer 3 : “Dialogue du vent et de la mer”
I’ve just submitted Sibelius’ Third to the RSA Open Exhibition. Fingers crossed!
More work on the new cloud painting, which has got a lot less shark-like and a lot more whale-like, so I’ve changed the name to Cumulo Megaptera. I’ll try again for a shark for the series. This is turning into a series of sea-life clouds!
Decided to get a new largeish oil on the go. Something that I can potter at for a while. I’ve revisited one of the paintings I did for the 28 Skies Later project back in 2014, but I’m trying to bring a bit of the freedom of the abstracts in – be a bit less smooth and controlled. Still a way to go, but I’m happy with the start.
I wanted to try something a bit more ambitious for the big finish, so I worked on these three together. I’ve tried to capture to flow of the music – Sibelius’ symphonies flow together more than any other composer I know – in fact by the seventh he’d abandoned the movement altogether. This one also has a lovely structure with a central melody that slowly emerges in the first, dominates the second and is consumed by the third, and I thought that would link the three pieces together (it’s the yellow bit).
1: Allegro moderato (in C major)
2 : Andantino con moto, quasi allegretto (in G-sharp minor)
3: Moderato – Allegro ma non tanto (in C major)
All three movements together
Song Twenty-three : Aerodynamic (Daft Punk)
Decided to put black gesso on a couple of boards, see how that turned out. I think this one worked OK.
Song Twenty-one : Violet Hill (Coldplay)
A request. This one wasn’t massively successful. There were a lot of water effects which didn’t dry terribly well unfortunately – it looked better wet. Also I promised I wouldn’t use purple and failed 😉